Tuesday, June 24, 2014

English Camp and What is Ahead.

We have been in Tomsk Siberia for one and a half weeks. So much has already happened, and I know God still has much in store for us girls.

June 16th through the 20th was English Camp. Early Monday morning all the campers showed up at Central Baptist Church and we loaded the bus. There was 52 campers in attendance and 10 American teachers. There was a variety of ages in our group. We had kind babushkas ready to improve on their English and children as young as 10 years old eager to be taught. When we arrived at the camp it was quite a change of scenery from being in the hustle and bustle of the city of Tomsk. We were surrounded by the Siberian forest. Tall birch trees, long grass, old wooden cabins, and the Ob River made up the scene. There was also many mosquitoes, but we were told by our American team that they were not as bad as last year.

Even though I felt somewhat unsure of my ability to be an English teacher to the campers, God was showing me once again that I can put my trust in Him wholly. I taught the Elementary level class and I had about 12 students in my class. My students were Masha, Nastyia, Tatiana, Liya, Karina, Sophia, Pasha, Oleg, Denis, Tehon, Bogdan, and Andrew. I enjoyed getting to know them all in class. We went through the English Workbook each day learning many new English words. We played many games and I was surprised by how much my students enjoyed the classes. I was told that many teachers in the school system in Tomsk can be harsh on students and not be helpful in answering students questions. The teacher is not a friend. I chose early on to be their friend. I also taught them the story of Jesus feeding the five thousand and taught them words that corresponded with the Bible story.

Everyday at camp we would play games, sing worships songs, have a sermon, and just spend time together. I had one on one talks with many Russians. I had some good conversations at the Banya. The banya is like a sauna. It is very popular in Russia.

                                                                             A Late Night Movie
                                                                                   The Main Building
                                                                                      The Banya
                                                                                          My Cabin
                                                                                           Ob River
                                                                                        Meal Time

During meal times we were encouraged by our team to sit with Russians and not Americans. At first it was a bit daunting, but soon I felt more and more at ease with being in situations where I had to stretch myself. I got to know quite a few students very well, and I am praying for many of them. Now that camp is over we are hoping to grow in friendship with many of the students we met and share the hope we have in Christ with them. The thing to do here is to walk around Tomsk with friends, and Hilary, Allie, and I plan on meeting up with friends from camp to further our friendship. 

At camp we met two Christian families that I was tremendously encouraged by. We will be doing English club on Saturdays nights with one of the families. On July 19th we leave to live with the other family in Kalposheva for two weeks. We will teach English and make friends there also. Many of the campers are actually from Kalposheva.

For the next four weeks we are scheduling English courses and our friends from church are helping us organize it. It has been hard at times to feel like God can use me here, but I know He can. Please pray for our English courses to be fruitful. Also, we have many people offering apartments for us to stay at, please pray that we would find the best place for us to stay. Most of all please pray for us to be seeking God's plan out in everything we do. Thank you all for your faithful prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment